One of our core values is sustainability. We care about the communities we work in, the environment and the protection of our natural resources. One way you can demonstrate your commitment to the environment, is choosing paper with a low carbon footprint. Many mills now manufacture with renewable energy and aim to reduce water usage and waste – processes that had unavoidable emissions offset to zero, or in other words neutralised.
What is Carbon Neutral?
Carbon neutral is net zero carbon emissions, that are balanced by offsetting the measured amount of carbon released into the atmosphere by verifiable carbon credits. As our everyday activities produce carbon dioxide emissions, programs have been put in place by organisations (and individuals) to reduce, offset and manage greenhouse gases, while restoring natural resources. An offset is an initiative that funds emission free energy projects such as wind farms, which are verifiable and traceable.
What is a carbon neutral paper?
A carbon neutral paper means the paper has been manufactured by a paper mill that has measured their entire carbon footprint, ie: how many greenhouse gases (carbon emissions) they produce through the burning of fossil fuels for electricity, manufacturing and transportation, ie: their impact on the environment. The next step is to minimise and offset all of these carbon emissions to zero.
We work with paper mills to measure their carbon footprint, so that we can offer paper as carbon neutral. Carbon neutrality has various levels of credentials. It’s important to know where the calculations begin and end, so as not to mislead our customers. K.W.Doggett Fine Paper offer a selection of carbon neutral papers including:
- Color Copy – Uncoated, Gloss and Silk
- Impact Copy
- Buffalo Board
- Tablex, Tablex Textures and Tablex Smooth Ivory Board
- Maine Recycled Gloss and Silk
- Maine Recycled Digital – Gloss and Silk
- HannoArt – Gloss and Satin
- Sovereign A2 Gloss and Silk
- Sovereign A2 Digital – Gloss and Silk
- Conqueror – Laid, Wove, CX22, High Speed Laser and Contour
- Conqueror 100% Recycled – Laid, Wove and CX22
- Strathmore Premium – Super Smooth, Wove, Cambric and Enhance
Carbon neutral product labelling
An easy way to demonstrate to your customers that you are printing on carbon neutral paper is by requesting our ‘Paper Made Carbon Neutral’ or ´Certified Carbon Neutral´ logo.
- All our products have been independently audited by third-party carbon accountants and include a full life cycle assessment from raw material (seedling/cradle) through to customer (either KWD or printer). In most cases, the carbon neutral paper that we offer, fall under this ‘cradle-to-customer’ model. This means the auditors have accounted for and offset all the greenhouse gas emissions for the actual processes that take place up until we hand the paper over.
- We can also provide you with an environmental tagline or product statement such as ‘Printed on paper that has [been manufactured to be carbon neutral]’ or ‘[been carbon offset]’.
- Carbon neutral fact sheets with full details of the products lifecycle analysis and offset projects are available through your paper specialist or from the product’s paper profile on our website.
- It’s important that we provide your customers with the most appropriate information about your job as ‘carbon neutral’ logos can be misleading, meaning they imply that the entire print and delivery process is carbon neutral. For example, while the job may have been printed on carbon neutral paper, the print and delivery process may not be. This can be demonstrated by observing the cradle-to-customer cycle.